Eligibility for $5,000
If you are a current scholarship recipient, you can apply to increase your scholarship from $2,500 to $5,000 when you have met the following criteria:
- You have earned at least 90 quarter credits or 60 semester credits.
- You have been accepted into an eligible, approved high-demand majors.
- You are enrolled at an eligible four-year college/university, or an eligible community college offering a bachelors’ degree in your eligible high-demand major.
How to Request an Increase to $5,000
(We have also created a convenient checklist outlining these steps.)
- Submit an official college or university transcript that verifies you have completed the required number of credits, (at least 90 quarter credits or 60 semester credits) at a four-year college/university. Unofficial transcripts will not be accepted. If you are transferring, please submit an official transcript from the college to which you will be transferring. The college to which you are transferring must show the total number of credits accepted. The transcript should reflect 90 earned college credits at a quarter school or 60 earned credits at a semester school.
- Submit a letter, on letterhead, from your college or university registrar or the department from which you will receive your degree. The letter must follow this format and must state: The major you are accepted into (not declared*)The date you were acceptedThe major CIP code (“CIP” stands for Classification of Instructional Program. Each major has a CIP code and that code defines the major and field of study. Your college official should request the CIP code from your college or university’s registrar’s office).
*Please note: We do not accept documents stating that you have declared a major. If your college or university does not have a formal acceptance process for your major, the documentation you submit must state that you have been admitted into and are on track to graduate with an eligible high-demand major.
Mail all documents to:
Washington State Opportunity Scholarship
Attention: WSOS Increase
1414 31st Avenue South, Suite 302
Seattle, WA 98144
or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Timeline for Requesting an Increase
We recommend applying to increase your scholarship as soon as you meet the requirements above.
There is no specific timeline when you must apply to increase your scholarship; however if you are required to increase in order to renew your scholarship, you will need to submit your documents no later than July.
Please note that it takes several weeks from the time you send the increase documents until the funding arrives in your account at your school. We will notify you when approved that funding is on the way.
If you submit your documentation part way through a term (but you met the criteria for the increase prior to the start of the term) we will retroactively increase your scholarship for that term.
If your scholarship disbursement has already been sent to your college at a lower level when your increase is approved, we will increase your award for that term.
Receiving Funding at the $7,500 Level
If you have already increased your scholarship to the $5,000 level, you do not need to submit any additional documentation in order to increase your scholarship to the $7,500 level. WSOS will automatically increase your scholarship to the $7,500 level after you have received $5,000 for three quarters or two semesters.