Thank you for your interest in the Washington State Opportunity Scholarship (WSOS)! Our scholarship supports low- and middle-income Washington students pursuing eligible high-demand majors in science, technology, engineering, math (STEM) or health care and encourages recipients to work in Washington state once they complete their degrees.
The scholarship application for 2017-18 is currently closed. The application for 2018-2019 will be available here on January 2, 2018. The online application must be submitted by Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 5 p.m. PST.
Applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Must be a Washington state resident (as defined in RCW 28B.15.012)
- Must have earned a high school diploma or GED from a Washington State high school or institution by June 2017. Please note: If you graduated from high school outside of Washington State, you are not eligible.
- Must be pursuing an eligible high-demand major (Approved Majors, Alphabetically) in science, technology, engineering, math (STEM) or health care.
- Must be working toward a first bachelor’s degree, (i.e. four-year degree).
- Must be enrolling in an eligible Washington state college or university fall term 2018. Please note: If you will be attending a public community or technical college fall 2018 that does not offer a four-year degree in your eligible high-demand major you must be planning to transfer to one of the four-year colleges/universities referenced above by the time you have earned 90 quarter credits. The list of eligible Washington state college or university has been approved by the Washington Student Achievement Council (WSAC) for participation in state financial aid programs under RCW 28B.92.030(4) and WAC 250-20-013 for fall term 2018.
- Must be planning to enroll as a full time college student (12+ credits) fall term 2018.
- Must be a high school senior at the time of application or a college student who will have completed six or fewer quarters, or four or fewer semesters by fall of 2018 as a full-time student (12 or more credits per term). Please note: College students who will have completed more than six full-time quarters or four full-time semesters of college at the start of fall term 2018 are not eligible. If you are currently in college and completed running start credits while in high school, please count only the quarters/semesters completed after high school graduation.
- Must have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) through fall quarter or semester 2017 of at least 2.75 (on a 4.0 scale). Please note: We understand that The Evergreen State College (TESC) does not issue GPAs. We have a partnership with The Evergreen State College in which we will determine if you satisfy this requirement. In addition, if you attend a high school that does not provide GPAs, you are eligible to complete the application, and we will follow up with your high school to determine eligibility.
- Must file the 2018-19 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.gov or submit the Washington Application for State Financial Aid (WASFA) at readysetgrad.org/wasfa by Wednesday, March 7, 2018. Please note: Students who are eligible to submit the FAFSA due to immigration status must submit the FAFSA in order to be eligible for this scholarship. Students who are ineligible to complete the FAFSA must submit the WASFA instead. Students need not qualify for aid, but must apply to one of these applications by the deadline stated.
- Must apply for Federal Education tax credits if eligible.
- Must have a family income (adjusted gross income plus all untaxed income) less than the amount listed by family size on this chart. (Note: Unless you qualified to submit the FAFSA as an independent student, the family income amounts are those reported by your parent(s) on your 2018-2019 FAFSA).
- The amount of funding that selected students will be eligible to receive each year will vary based on the number of credits they have completed. Please see Award Amounts for additional information.
The application for 2018-2019 will be available here on January 2, 2018. The online application must be submitted by Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 5 p.m. PST.
Remember, in addition to submitting the online application, for your application to be considered, you must also:
- Mail an official transcript, postmarked by Wednesday, March 7, 2018. Please note that many high schools and colleges take up to a couple of weeks to prepare an official transcript, so be sure to request a transcript early. Transcripts must include all grades through fall term 2017. Unofficial transcripts, transcripts without fall 2017 grades, and transcripts postmarked after March 7 will not be accepted.
- File the 2018-2019 FAFSA at www.fafsa.gov or WASFA at readysetgrad.org/wasfa by Wednesday, March 7, 2018.
You do not need to submit your FAFSA or WASFA information to this scholarship. We will verify with the state that you have submitted the FAFSA or WASFA.